You may have discovered mold in your home yourself, hired a professional mold testing Victoria BC company, or even been told by your doctor that mold is the reason why your child is constantly sick. Either way, mold is a huge problem when it comes to homes – not only can it make you and your family sick, it can deteriorate the home and become a very expensive undertaking. Once you find mold in your home, here are some helpful hints:

Steps to take

  1. Call the restoration company. Instead of trying to fix the problem yourself, it is necessary to call in the experts. They will know the best way to get at the problem, and have the equipment to take out the mold safely, and help you figure out ways to keep it from happening in the future.
  2. Stay away from the affected area. Mold can cause respiratory problems and aggravate allergies. Depending on how large the area is that is affected, and the type of mold, it may be a wise idea to live with friends, family or a hotel room for the time being. Above all do not disturb the affected area, once disturbed mold releases spores.
  3. Move valuables and/or documents from the area. If the affected area is in/on a wall, move valuables or documents out of the way – but only if they are not also affected by the mold. Depending on the request of the restoration company, you might be asked to move furniture and other items out of the room as well.
  4. Warn family members. If you plan on staying in your home, warn older family members and friends and those with children to stay away while your home still has mold in it. Those who have weaker immune systems, or have asthma and allergies, are more vulnerable to the affects of mold. Side effects of mold are like those of a common cold – coughing, watery eyes and a runny nose.

Mold is a problem that needs to be fixed, but if you follow the above steps and stay cautious, the issue will be cleared away safely and quickly. Again, ensure that you call a restoration company as handling mold yourself can be dangerous to your health.